Saturday 8 February 2014

Wide-Eyed and DIY: Sea Salt Hair Spray.

So, I've been a major sea salt spray (or S³) for a while now. Around three years, I think. It's hard to remember but I've had my bottle of Lee Stafford sea salt spray for a while. It's the only product I ever really use in my hair and even then, I do so sparingly. It has all sorts of alcohol and not-so-good-for-your-hair stuff in it. But it is my favourite look so I wanted to find a way to replicate the texture cheaply, easily and less harmfully so I could use it on the reg.

Research online showed lots of different recipes so I went through a whole bunch and recomposed my own recipe to my own tastes. Here's how to make your own.


You'll need:
Sea Salt
An empty spray bottle
Aloe Vera Gel
Conditioner
250ml of warm water


Optional Extras:
Essential oils for different problems you may have with your hair/for scent

1. Boil around 250ml of water. Set aside in a cup and allow to cool until warm rather than hot.

2. Pour into spray bottle.


3. Add a teaspoon of salt. Shake and allow to dissolve and settle.



4. Add a half teaspoon of conditioner and mix. I used an Argan Oil infused conditioner to be extra kind to my hair but you can equal substitute coconut oil here.


5. Add a half teaspoon of Aloe Vera gel - this can be replaced by hair gel as we're using it for hold. Aloe Vera has the benefit, however, of being natural and adding a nice scent.


6. Essential oils can be added at this point. I didn't bother as the aloe and Argan oil made it smell lovely as it was.


And there you have it! It gives a slightly more authentic beachy look to the hair but be aware that your hair will need to dry for a while after application. Unlike the store-bought stuff, this is made up of a lot more water and spray bottles like the one I used tend to disperse more of the mixture than the spray of a Lee Stafford bottle.

Let me know if anyone tries this out and what they think of it! I think this will work as a great lazy-but-lovely look for the S/S season. x

No comments:

Post a Comment