Monday 14 July 2014

Evelyn the Arty Weaver - Weaving the hats of my dreams.

I love me a good hat. And, if you've been reading lately, you'll know I've come over all patriotic when it comes to clothes. I have this idea of a romantic, neo-Irish style implementing sturdy traditional materials and construction with modern styling.

Over the weekend, I came across a craftsperson producing pieces to provide for all these tastes. Situated on the grounds of Russborough House in a studio which attracts with rag time tunes floating out the windows, Evelyn the Arty Weaver makes and shows her wares. I had been inside the main house for an uncle's birthday lunch when my Mam and I spotted some of Evelyn's hats on display. We posed for a photo with myself, mother and father bedecked in the hats while my brother placed a cooking pan on his head. Everyone laughed and we thought nothing more of the hats until I went for a stroll after eating.


When I stumbled into the studio, I ended up chatting for a very long time to the lovely, enviously pink-haired and immensely interesting Evelyn. She pointed out the unique "pepper and salt" pattern of Irish tweeds, we discussed the historic roots of fabrics and trades in Ireland, she showed me her production set-up and then she told me how she got from painting to weaving. It all started with a single image in a book, Weaving as an Art Form, which showed how much could be done with the craft, how it could be used to draw.


It's funny how such a thing can change your whole life path....

The hats are gorgeous. Traditional fabrics in twenties shapes with contemporary twists. Inspired by the Mitford girls who lived in the house in the twenties, there are six basic shapes in a range of colours and patterns. 




My particular fave.






I oohed and aahed and chatted before returning later with my mother who did the same and bought a crocheted headband which was beyond adorable. We're planning a return visit for my birthday or Christmas when we'll commit to an actual hat. If you're interested, check out the Russborough studio or Evelyn's facebook page. Pieces can be bought online and her new site will be up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment