Saturday 20 June 2015

Why I don't Wear Make-Up – An Echo

I'm a fashion and beauty blogger, and yet, I don't wear make-up on an even semi-regular basis...that sounds a bit funny, doesn't it?

Let me explain. This post is a response, or an echo, of Leandra Medine's post about the same topic.

It's not that I don't like make-up or that I think there's anything wrong with wearing it, it basically boils down to laziness. And if it's a choice between fifteen more minutes in bed or a put-together face, I'm always going to choose sleep. Always.

I like applying make-up when I have time to do it – before I go out or on lazy afternoons when it's something akin to doodling. On my face. But, I digress. The point is, I have no interest in rushing things. Since becoming a blogger, since companies started sending me things to try and becoming deeply entangled in internet beauty culture, make-up has become something that I am rather passionate about. I watch tutorials, read review posts and trend reports, stalk the sites of beauty brands for new products and runway behind-the-scenes for details on the beauty looks that went hand-in-hand with shows I obsessed over. The artistry and transformative powers of make-up fascinate me and I have to tip my hat to some of the things that people can do with it. It takes skill and training and years of practice.

I'm also of the feminist school of thought that choice is what women should be afforded and, if a woman wants to wear make-up, more power to her. Yes, it's tied to a long history of patriarchal power but I believe in people having the right to take utter control of their own appearance and bodies. We have the power to move on from the past. And if men want to wear it too, go ahead. Literally some of the most glamorous people that I have ever met have been male MUAs.

However, what I don't like is when the opposite right is not likewise afforded women. I hate that it seems to be considered unprofessional for women not to wear make-up in a workplace setting and that I've had to argue against this double-standard with countless people, not least my mother. The notion is utterly ridiculous. If you are professionally dressed and well-groomed and ready to do the job, then what right does anyone have to comment on your appearance?

I also am a little concerned when people need make-up, can't leave the house without it. Not judging, just sad that they are made feel this way.

It's a fact that many make-up artists don't wear make-up daily, just as many fashion designers dress rather unflamboyently. If something is what you do, about creating, about more than a part of a daily routine, it can be hard to just reduce it to that. Make-up, to me, is part of my career, which means I think about it, talk about it, research it and rarely do it willy-nilly.

The other thing that many of these MUAs consider is having their skin in the best possible condition for doing their make-up which means giving your skin a break. Going days without make-up does wonders for your skin and skincare in the long term is more important to me than looking glam in the short term.


I don't know. These are just my thoughts on the matter and my relationship with make-up. I wonder what you guys think? Do let me know!

Yo 099
Rare occasion of make-up wearing

*

Liked this post? Want more?

Follow me here using google friend connect or bloglovin.

Or follow me on tumblr - twitter - facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment