Tuesday 23 February 2016

Name To Note: Jamie Wei Huang AW16

I often don't consider collections from the point of view of whether I would wear them or, even, personally like them. As with film, art or literature, I engage with design that is cohesive, competent, has vision or challenges me, society or expectation. I want a collection to make me think or to feel something.

But, every now and then, there are collections where my most immediate thought is, "Get in my wardrobe." That is not to say that they don't still fit the above requirements but my primary emotion is a deep connection to my own personal tastes. This was the case for Jamie Wei Huang. The moment I spotted the colours and silhouettes across the crowded Designer Showrooms at LFW, it was love. 

These clothes - cute but largely unisex, rich in detail but loose and wearable - are right up my alley. These are clothes I can imagine living in. 

Reds, blues and monochrome shades, knitwear, denim, high necks, oversized coats and jackets, statement sweaters, chunky platforms - these are clothes that are effortlessly cool. Throw on one of the faux-fur collared oversized overcoats over a tee and jeans and you are suddenly pulled together. Pair the red tartan and leather wedges with a little black dress and your outfit is immediately more interesting. Burrow into the denim sweater when you are cold and tired and look like you put a lot more effort into getting dressed than you did.

Not only is there beautiful design going on here that pulls together touches of classic Americana, Scandinavian cool and Asian innovation but there is a wearablity to these garments - the best of both worlds. 

Expect to see Jamie Wei Huang on cool-girl bloggers, indie actors and musicians any day now.

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

13

14

15

*

Liked this post? Want more?

Follow me here using google friend connect or bloglovin.

Or follow me on tumblr - twitter - facebook - instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment